Posted on Jan 11 2014 - 11:22pm by Anurag Kumar

Nexus 5 the latest flagship device from Google, well no doubt it is undoubtedly the best device running stock android ROM till now but many users are complaining now their Nexus 5 screen has cracked after falling from a low height on a hard surface. Nexus 5 features 4.95″ screen Corning Gorilla Glass 3 but is it tough enough to resist daily falls and avoid cracks.

Well a user claims his Google Nexus 5 fell from his coat pocket on a hard surface and his Nexus 5 screen cracked from top side. On side bumpers not much cracks or marks were spotted but on screen it has got a lot cracks. Check below images.

Google Nexus 5 Screen Cracked

Well Nexus 5 Screen Cracked after falling on a “hard surface”, concerned accepts that but does that much damage on screen should have been happened, that’s an question here.

Check the cracks on top corner of screen.

Google Nexus 5 Screen Cracked

Some cracks on screen also appeared at bottom.

Google Nexus 5 Screen Cracked after falling on hard surface

Another user “Shiva” has got in touch with the pics of his Nexus 5 cracked screen just after a minor fall. Look below.

Nexus 5 Cracked Screen

Cracks are developed in whole Nexus 5 screen.

Nexus 5 Fragile Screen

If you Nexus 5 screen has also cracked after falling on some solid surface, then do let us know in comments what you did after that ? Did you try any replacement LCD panel with frame, drop your comments below.

[ via - XDA , Thanks Shiva ]
About the Author

23 years old, an avid writer and a Software Engineer by profession. Editor of Xperia Guide | Nexus Authority and Gizmo Bolt and Sony Xperia Smartphone enthusiast. Devices owned : Xperia Z1, Z, SP, SL, Nexus 7 2013 LTE. Follow me at Facebook I Twitter I Google Plus. DONATE US. Contact me at anurag@gizmobolt.com for feedback and sending tips.

54 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Gagandeep January 28, 2014 at 12:46 am - Reply

Yes, it happen to me too :/. Do yoy know what screen gonna replace from ebay. My model is different! KOT49H

• Greg February 5, 2014 at 6:05 am - Reply

Hi G.
      Do you have photos of the damaged screen?
      Greg

2. Greg Edward February 4, 2014 at 4:30 am - Reply

Hi. Have you heard of an LG Nexus 5 screen impact causing a hairline crack within the LCD which eventually causes fluid to bleed out leaving a dark spot on the screen? It looks like water damage but with no pathway from a speaker or button. It’s simply a dark splotch in the middle of the phone. (Contact me for photos)
    Thanks…Greg

• Anurag Kumar February 4, 2014 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Not yet mate…That seems very bad issue.
      Can you send us your issue photos on our id admin@nexusauthority.com

3. Shiva prasad February 17, 2014 at 2:32 pm - Reply

My phone screen is also cracked for a minor fall. It is a shame that Google and LG have built a phone so fragile and I have found so many people with the same problem.
    They have started a petition for a recall, please sign up

http:// change.org/en-IN/petitions/google-lg-recall-nexus-5-phones-the-screen-shatters-on-minor-impact?recruiter=80241718&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition#

• Anurag Kumar February 17, 2014 at 2:35 pm - Reply

Kindly send us some pics of your cracked screen at admin@nexusauthority.com

4. Shiva prasad February 17, 2014 at 3:42 pm - Reply

Anurag, I have sent the pics of the cracked screen. Thanks

• Anurag Kumar February 17, 2014 at 3:52 pm - Reply

yes we got it, posting them soon….crack looks very bad :/

5. Karan March 2, 2014 at 4:21 pm - Reply

My Nexus 5 screen cracked after it slipped from my hand when I was sitting on a chair, falling from 2.5 feet. Disappointed.

• shiva prasad March 2, 2014 at 5:27 pm - Reply

Please sign a petition in change.org recall nexus.

6. Rohan March 26, 2014 at 1:09 pm - Reply

My nexus 5 screen just cracked! Very similar to what has happened to one of the guys mentioned above, it slipped out of my hand, fell from the chair and it just cracked!

This is disappointing.

7. Amit Puri April 28, 2014 at 8:36 pm - Reply

Same case with my phone :-(

8. Nikita April 30, 2014 at 3:51 pm - Reply

My phone fell on road from my hand and the whole screen is smashed as if it has been run over by a car.

Very disappointed. and the worst part is the screen costs 1/4th of the phone’s price.

9. khaled May 14, 2014 at 4:49 am - Reply

the one thing that no one mention in a review is how the screen is so fragile and you can’t just replace the glass you have to replace the entire screen

• ram May 19, 2014 at 11:55 am - Reply

my phone slipped out of my hand while i am standing.
      its outer screen is cracked.
      It has broken on the same day i recieved.
      I am really frustrated for such cheap case built by LG.
      when asked to LG they will be charging of rs 9200 for whole assembly.
      I am really worried :(.

10. shazia May 14, 2014 at 10:10 am - Reply

my screen cracked..
    a small stamp fell on my phone and it cracked .. very disappointing.

11. Saurabh May 15, 2014 at 12:14 am - Reply

Happened the same with me…my Nexus5 slipped out of my hand and fallen from a height of 2 feet only…the cracks look bad…disappointed…what to do ..pls help

12. Simaranjit May 15, 2014 at 1:35 am - Reply

Same problem very very minor drop broke screen.

13. Jyoti Shankar Mishra May 21, 2014 at 12:43 am - Reply

This has happen to me today when along with my Bike key i placed my phone in the same pocket of denim.
    Huh i feel so disappointed

14. Abhishek May 21, 2014 at 9:11 am - Reply

My nexus 5 also cracked after falling from my hand on pedestrian pathway. Screen Cracked from right hand top corner and now glass is coming out slowly also.

15. Vaibhav May 21, 2014 at 10:37 am - Reply

My Nexus 5 screen also cracked today. Any idea how to get it repaired . Where to go whom to approach

16. Ankush May 22, 2014 at 9:36 pm - Reply

We have more than 300 users impacted by screen being cracked on a very small fall (mine fell from less tha a feet) . This is totally frustrating when you claim it to be gorilla glass?? I have used almost many phones till now and none was so delicate to use. I request you to recall the phones and replace them earliest before this issue widens and detroys Google’s image . If the issue is not being taken care at earliest, I will have to go into legal terms afterall you charged hefty Rs.33000 for this phone !! .Refer : http://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/google-lg-recall-nexus-5-phones-the-screen-shatters-on-minor-impact#share

17. manoj May 27, 2014 at 10:53 am - Reply

my screen cracked..
    a small fell on my phone and it cracked .. very disappointing.

18. arun May 27, 2014 at 8:50 pm - Reply

Could someone please advise how broken displays are fixed for your devices.. I facing the same issue now..

19. arun May 27, 2014 at 8:51 pm - Reply

Could someone please advise how broken displays are fixed for your devices.. I’m facing the same issue now..

20. samarth batra May 29, 2014 at 1:29 am - Reply

something strange happened to my nexus 5…took it out of pocket to find the screen damaged from inside and not scratch outside…half of the screen is bleeding and touch is not responsive…not able to figure out the issue

21. Richa June 10, 2014 at 10:25 pm - Reply

My nexus 5 screen cracked like fragile cryatal on the top right corner after a fall from less than 2 feet!! Its ridiculous.. I tried to find out the cost.. Its freaking 9k!!! I love the phone otherwise.. But sorry to say LG has provided a very disappointing infra to such an amazing phone!

22. Simaranjit Singh June 11, 2014 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Please go through this also:
    http:// www .change.org/en-IN/petitions/google-lg-recall-nexus-5-phones-the-screen-shatters-on-minor-impact

23. mehul June 11, 2014 at 6:52 pm - Reply

my nexus 5 also cracked today…I just bought it yesterday….it was just a minor impact….fall from 2 feet and it got multiple cracks

• Anurag Kumar June 11, 2014 at 7:39 pm - Reply

Can you send us some pics at anurag@gizmobolt.com

24. RK June 15, 2014 at 6:33 pm - Reply

My Google Nexus 5 screen got cracked from putting in my jeans back pocket along with a key. The key might have pressed on the screen and made it crack. I could not believe my eyes when I saw cracks on the screen, as I was not aware of the cracking until I took a look at the screen. I used HTC evo 3d for 2 years…without any protection and often times keeping it along with my keys. There was never a problem.

25. pankaj sethi June 16, 2014 at 9:41 am - Reply

My nexus 5 screen cracked as well and it cracked really bad. This was after it fell not from that much a height. Can someone tell me how much of a cost it is to fix it and is it even worth it?

26. Mayuresh June 17, 2014 at 9:32 am - Reply

Same here..My Nexus 5 which is 3 months old on 12th Jun’14 fallen today on top left corner..fallen height is less than 2.5ft..and screen is damaged like somebody threw it on the hard rock…its very bad experience and i am surprised by seeing such a delicate screen from Google and LG..it can not be Gorrila Glass..

27. Amrith June 19, 2014 at 9:31 am - Reply

I dropped my nexus as I was removing it from the pocket..fell on hard concrete and now it’s brokem with the panel In pieces ..able to type though .
    Nexus 5
    32 gigs
    Black

28. Akshaya June 19, 2014 at 11:49 pm - Reply

My nexus 5 screen cracked today. Slipped from my hand and now 3/4th of the screen has cracked :’( The cost for the repair is freaking 10K :(

29. Amit June 22, 2014 at 9:50 pm - Reply

My nexus 5 screen cracked from the bottom left corner after it slipped from my hand on the road. In two days the cracks spread across the entire screen. Although the phone still functions but it is frustrating to see that the screen has got damaged on a minor fall. I have been using Samsung galaxy for a long and this phone has fallen many times but screen has never been damaged. Sorry to say LG and Google has provided a poor infrastructure to such an amazing phone that I could not handle minor wear and tear. I won’t recommend this phone to anyone else.

30. guptha June 23, 2014 at 1:38 pm - Reply

Guys,

the same thing has happened. Gorilla Glass 3 has cracked like a simple mirror. Now i want to know how to take care of the problem. should i go for service centre where its more than 8k. there are few sellers in ebay or else where there are able to provide the screen for 2.5k or 3k. if the display and digitizer is not broken , the screen will be ok,right. is it safe.. would there be any problem with the touch or HD .

31. sidd July 2, 2014 at 9:59 pm - Reply

my dad’s nexus 5′s screen cracked too from a small drop

32. Hasit July 4, 2014 at 11:32 pm - Reply

The same happened with me. The phone’s screen and bottom bezel cracked because of a minor drop..can anyone please tell me how i can get it repaired ? There is no LG service centre for phones where i live…should i go to a third party mobile repair shop instead ?

33. Geetam July 9, 2014 at 3:27 pm - Reply

Fuck LG.. Its just another way of swindling the customers

34. krishnanandabv July 10, 2014 at 10:39 am - Reply

Hell sir my nexus 5 has the same screen broken problem that to from just 2 feet very disappointed.

35. Manoj July 11, 2014 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Same Here also. Broken the screen with a fall. Can somebody post the solution and how much it costs to replace the glass. Also will Google/LG cover it via its Warrenty ?

thanks for your help in Advance

36. Rama July 11, 2014 at 8:53 pm - Reply

Same prob, it just slipped on normal surface and bottom cornor screen is cracked..

37. jasvinder singh July 12, 2014 at 10:00 am - Reply

M using the same model LG nexus 5 which I purchased around new year 2014.
    3 days before it fell from my bed on tiled floor and cracked same as shown in above pictures. The phone have fell 4-5 times before also but was always fine afterwards.
    This time similar cracks as shown above occurred. Touch is normal as before and phone is functionally all fine.

38. Abhishek Roy July 17, 2014 at 5:29 pm - Reply

Phone fell from hand on the road and the screen cracked inspite of a heavy body cover that is have installed. Since i had installed a screen guard, the screen is still sticking together and the phone is functioning flawlessly.

39. Siddharth July 18, 2014 at 10:33 am - Reply

The same thing happened to my nexus 5 and the worst part is that it had only fallen from a height of about A LITTLE OVER 1 FOOT!!

My friend who bought the nexus 5 days before me also faced the same problem but in his case his had with the watch on, accidentally landed on the phone!

Google I hope you are reading this… We expect better form a flagship phone

40. arpith July 18, 2014 at 2:08 pm - Reply

My nexus 5 screen got shattered on the top right corner after it fell on the road . I am really depressed. Can anyone tell me what might be the cost of the new screen?

41. Nitya Nair July 22, 2014 at 3:26 pm - Reply

My nexus 5 fell down today. Small distance but face down. The screen is totally cracked. Seriously disappointed :(

• Anurag Kumar July 22, 2014 at 7:00 pm - Reply

Bad Luck :/ Repairing cost is too high around 10K INR in India.

It is seriously bad that screen is so fragile, so many users complaining about it.

42. sunil shrestha July 23, 2014 at 12:59 pm - Reply

Due to small fault my nexus 5 screen got cracked..I am really disappointed with this..

43. Hasan July 29, 2014 at 4:04 pm - Reply

I have the same problem.todau my nexus 5 screen cracked because its dropped from my hand.I was also checking prices and found this forum.what should be done?please suggest?

Leave A Response