To enable FR radio in a smartphone you need to plugin the earphones in your device as they work as antenna for receiving signals. It is kind of odd thing but a necessity to make FM radio work. XDA developer DaRk-L0rD has come up with a mod which allows you to enable FM Radio without headset in Xperia smartphones. Your handset must be rooted for this mod to work on.
A full tutorial is given by the developer on how to enable FM Radio without headset in Xperia smartphone so you can easily do it by yourself but if you are a noob and don’t know about compiling and decompiling stuffs then you can directly install the modded Radio3.apk file to enable FM Radio without headset.
Enable FM Radio without headset – Working tutorial
You need to have the original FM Radio apk of your Xperia Smartphone. If you don’t have it, we have attched at last the FM Radio apk from our Xperia Z1.
#1 Follow below tutorial if you have knowledge of Compiling and Decompliling android apks, If not follow step #2.
- Take out your FM Radio apk file.
- Decompiling the above apk file. To decompile an apk, use this Decompiler tool. Download the source.zip file and extract it in a folder.
- You fill see following files in the folder.
- Navigate to folder smali > com > sonyericsson > fmradio > service.
- Open the “PhfHandler.smali” file with Notepad.
- Find “.if-eqz v0, :cond_0” code inside “PhfHandler.smali” file.
It will be like :-
.method public isPhfConnected ()z
iget v0, p0, Lcom/sonyericsson/fmradio/service/PhFHandler;->mState:I
if-eqz v0, :cond_0
const/4 v0, 0x1
- Delete “if-eqz v0, :cond_0″ from above file / line of codes.
- Save the file.
- Now compile this Modded Radio3.apk file. If you don’t how to do that, check this thread for more info.
- Move this Modded Radio3.apk file to system/app. Set correct permissions rw-r-r. Do back up your current Radio3.apk file before replacing modded one.
- Reboot, done 🙂
#2 If above tutorial is too complicated for you then directly download the below Modded Radio3.apk file and use it.
Download Modded FM Radio3.apk file to enable FM Radio without headset.
Push above app to system/app and set permissions rw-r-r, reboot.
Download Original Radio3.apk from Xperia Z1 in case you want to revert back to original file.
Do let us know if the above mod worked for you or not. Try it on your Xperia smartphone, drop your comments below. All credits goes to XDA developer DaRk-L0rD for his wonderful work 🙂