Posted on Jun 18 2014 - 1:27am by Anurag Kumar

Renowned developer and white hacker geohot has come up with a fantastic rooting tool named Towelroot which has successfully rooted Xperia handsets like Xperia Z1, Z1 Compact, M, Z, ZL, SP, M2, T, TX running android 4.3 and android 4.4.2 version. Towelroot exploit is using a apk file which after installing has successfully rooted many Xperia handsets so far as reported by the users. Best one click root method, roots in 30 seconds.

We have created a handy guide to root Xperia Z1 using Towelroot exploit which is confirmed working on Xperia Z1 C6902, C6903 running android 4.4.2 .757 firmware version. Rooting voids warranty so make sure you are ware of this, in order to get warranty back you need to re-install the stock firmware using PC Companion, SUS or flashing via flashtool.

Root Xperia Z1 / Z1 Compact using Towelroot exploit

Below method is confirmed working on Xperia Z1 C6902 / C6903, Xperia Z1 Compact D5503, Xperia Z Ultra. Works on locked bootloader handsets. It should work on all android 4.3+ versions.

For Xperia Z1 C6902 / C6903, Xperia Z1 Compact D5503, Xperia Z Ultra Prerequisites

• Enable ‘unknown sources’ option. Go to Settings > security > enable unknown sources.
  • Enable ‘USB Debugging’. Go to Settings > Developer settings > enable USB debugging.

Connect phone to PC. Make sure your Phone’s ADB drivers are installed in PC successfully.

Step 1: Download the below mentioned file, extract it in your PC. You will get two content named : folder ‘files‘ and install.bat file.

Download z1cRoot v1.zip

Towel Root files

Step 2: Go to Towelroot site and download the tr.apk ( ignore any security warning ) file. Click the lambda image icon to download.

Step 3: Put the tr.apk file downloaded in above step inside files/tr.apk

Towel Root files content

Step 4: Now click the install.bat file to run the cmd program.

Your phone will be recognized and the process will run. Follow the onscreen instructions displayed in cmd window.

Towel Root Exploit

Towel Root Exploit Xperia Z1

Towel Root Exploit Xperia Z1 Compact

Step 5: Towelroot app will open in your phone, tap on “make it rain” button and your phone will be rebooted in 15 seconds.

Download Towel Root app

Root Xperia Z1 Towel Root

Xperia Z1 Towel Root

Your phone is now rooted. Reboot it. Download the Root Checker app from Play Store to verify for root access.

Xperia Z1 Root Access Towel Root app

In case if you are getting error like SU binaries are not updating then download the latest version of SuperUser app. Extract the apk from below mentioned file and install the apk. Open the app and update the binaries.

Download UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r5.zip

For Xperia M2, M, SP, T, TX, Z, ZL

To root Xperia M2, M, SP, T, TX, Z, ZL download the Towelroot apk and install it. Open it, tap on “make it rain” option and wait for onscreen instrcutions to come, device reboots, root access is there, update SU app from above mentioned link.

Now you can root number of Xperia devices using Towelroot, try it guys and let us know if it works on your device or not. Drop your comments below if have any doubts.

About the Author

23 years old, an avid writer and a Software Engineer by profession. Editor of Xperia Guide | Nexus Authority and Gizmo Bolt and Sony Xperia Smartphone enthusiast. Devices owned : Xperia Z1, Z, SP, SL, Nexus 7 2013 LTE. Follow me at Facebook I Twitter I Google Plus. DONATE US. Contact me at anurag@gizmobolt.com for feedback and sending tips.

59 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Olivier June 18, 2014 at 2:18 am - Reply

Worked great! Thanks

2. Abhinay June 18, 2014 at 9:58 am - Reply

Thanks, It worked on Sony Z (C6603)

3. Tara June 18, 2014 at 12:08 pm - Reply

Will this root tool work on Xperia T2 Dual?

4. Aamir June 18, 2014 at 12:33 pm - Reply

Do I need to backup my phone data…

5. k June 18, 2014 at 2:13 pm - Reply

worked great on my c903, thanks alot!

• k June 18, 2014 at 2:14 pm - Reply

c6903 i means haha

6. Nik8 June 18, 2014 at 3:17 pm - Reply

Is the procedure same for XZ?

• Anurag Kumar June 18, 2014 at 3:23 pm - Reply

it is clearly written in end of post that for XZ XZL you just need to install the apk, run it, tap on “make it rain” option and it is done.

• AL July 4, 2014 at 10:08 pm - Reply

hi . i just installed mspy in a sony xperia ZL. it was frustating that i found out i need it to root it.

The question is. I still need to make the USB DEBUGGING for the ZL ??

Once the phone is rebooted, i need to install the super user ? o that app comes with the phone ?

It will prompt upon restart that mspy request acces tu super user ?

THANK U !!!!

7. dinesh June 18, 2014 at 3:18 pm - Reply

it will work on xperia zr..

8. Behi June 18, 2014 at 4:35 pm - Reply

successfully rooted Xperia E1 Dual :D

9. XPERIA Z1 June 18, 2014 at 10:04 pm - Reply

Funciono Perfecto Xperia Z1 C6906

10. shashidhar June 18, 2014 at 11:06 pm - Reply

Hi Anurag, Today I purchased Xperia Z1 Compact and i spreinstalled with androd 4.3. I want to upgrade it to kitkat. Is it safe to update the device and root via towelroot ? I want to root because I want to install apps on SD card.

11. Albert June 19, 2014 at 12:10 am - Reply

Hello, this is just to say thank you, it worked perfectly in z1 c6906

12. poenyaku June 19, 2014 at 6:35 am - Reply

work great on ZR C5502 stock 4.4.2

• Navaneeth Kumar July 4, 2014 at 9:25 pm - Reply

can u please tell me how to do it? with details
      i can’t do it.

• Anurag Kumar July 4, 2014 at 9:26 pm - Reply

with details only it is mentioned above.

13. ripqhy June 19, 2014 at 9:14 am - Reply

noob here… has anyone try it on ZU running on 4.4.2 build 14.3.A.0.747 ? because normal install isn’t working.. thanks :)

14. Yogeshwar Patel June 19, 2014 at 2:29 pm - Reply

It void my warnty or not?
    Also Can i Backup my TA Partion After i root my Xperia Sp With This tool?

15. Yogeshwar Patel June 19, 2014 at 2:30 pm - Reply

Can i Use it On My loked Bootloder of Xperia Sp

16. Yogeshwar Patel June 19, 2014 at 2:49 pm - Reply

Can I Cilme my Warnty Through restore TA Partaion

• Anurag Kumar June 19, 2014 at 2:50 pm - Reply

just flash back original firmware ftf and warranty is back, but root is lost :P

17. Yogeshwar Patel June 19, 2014 at 2:52 pm - Reply

How Can Flash Origanl Firmware ftf.

18. Yp June 19, 2014 at 5:57 pm - Reply

Sir Please help After i root my phone using the given tool , my phone does not start very well means its only show sony xperia animation for long time and not show anything only xperia animation, please help me

19. Victor June 19, 2014 at 9:53 pm - Reply

Works on xperia Z1 C6903 4.4.2 14.3.A.0.757

20. XPERIA M June 19, 2014 at 10:41 pm - Reply

funciona en el SONY XPERIA M (c1904)??

21. Paul June 19, 2014 at 11:51 pm - Reply

I rooted xperia z. Am on 4.3 and probably receive KitKat in week or so. If I upgraded to KitKat will root will be lost?

• Anurag Kumar June 20, 2014 at 12:31 am - Reply

yes you will loose root then.

• Paul June 20, 2014 at 10:09 am - Reply

Thanks for reply.I downloaded root only apps. So if I again root xz at 4.4 will the rooted apps will work normally or I have to set them up again?

22. dinesh June 20, 2014 at 11:39 pm - Reply

if the mobile is rooted.the warranty is voids i konw about that…
    after rooted.if the mobile is updated,the warranty will came back or not?

23. lija June 21, 2014 at 8:32 am - Reply

error on my c6903 it says :
    EODC not found not ZIP
    file ‘tr _signed.apk’ is not a valid zip file
    rm failed for /data/local/tmp/tr_singed.apk, no such file of directory

• Blablabla June 22, 2014 at 2:08 am - Reply

I’m facing the same issue! Sony Xperia Z1 C6903, Android 4.4.2, Firmware 14.3.A.0.757. Does anybody know what the hell is happening?

• etcetera etcetera June 23, 2014 at 4:33 am - Reply

I have same issue too.

24. heberth June 21, 2014 at 10:56 pm - Reply

Hice todo lo que dice pero a lo que abro el install.bat que le doy a una tecla para seguir dice que la Apk not found
    tengo un Sony Expiria M

• Larv June 25, 2014 at 3:38 pm - Reply

Lo Instale en Xperia M c1904 4.3 funciona perfectamente.. heberth Solo tienes que copiar la apk a la memoria e instalar. las primeras instrucciones son para el Z… Saludos..

25. Paul June 22, 2014 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Will I receive software updates after rooting? Please answer please

• Blablabla June 24, 2014 at 5:32 am - Reply

Yes, yes! That have been said a gazillion years ago. Please google it before posting such questions.

26. Ashley June 25, 2014 at 10:52 pm - Reply

Not working. Please help.
    I have xperia z1. In the middle of the process there eocd not working and it is not installing the app

27. mustafa June 27, 2014 at 4:56 am - Reply

i have problem it say
    /system/bin/sh: su: not found what should i do

28. joblaze June 28, 2014 at 11:38 am - Reply

thank you i rooted my xperia z1 14.3.A.0757 ON KITKAT 4.4.2

29. Kevin C. Torres June 29, 2014 at 3:03 am - Reply

Hola Lo Hice En Mi Sony Xperia M 4.3 y funciono ademas es muy sencillo.

30. Xperia M June 29, 2014 at 11:55 am - Reply

Funciona perfectamente……. comprobado en Xperia M c(1904) con Android 4.3 y con bootloader bloqueado……….

31. Mike June 30, 2014 at 1:01 am - Reply

Funciona para la actualizacion 4.4.4 del Xperia Z1?

32. Dynamiclynk July 1, 2014 at 8:18 pm - Reply

Doesn’t work D5503 (4.4.2) KERNEL 3.4.0 Build 14.3.A.0.757

33. beii July 3, 2014 at 3:20 am - Reply

Thanks :) work 100% on my xperia v lt25i latest firmware 9.2.A.2.5 :D my phone succesfully rooted now :D

34. Brenladais July 10, 2014 at 12:43 am - Reply

Didn’t work on Xperia Z1 C6903 4.4.2 .761
    “Make it rain ” says my phone is successfully rooted and don’t have to reboot, but Root checker says i’m not rooter :/

35. Brenladais July 10, 2014 at 12:46 am - Reply

Didn’t worked on Xperia Z1 C6903 4.4.2 .761.

Make it rain says successfully rooted and no need to reboot, but root checker says not rooted :/

36. Axel July 10, 2014 at 3:09 pm - Reply

How to download towelroot for Xperia Z there is no files at all!

37. Soggy July 10, 2014 at 5:06 pm - Reply

Will I still get updates through the normal update channel??

38. Timeth July 21, 2014 at 8:33 am - Reply

When I run the install.bat it says

EOCD not found, not Zip
    file ‘tr_signed.apk is not a valid zip file
    rm failed for /data/local/tmp/tr_signed.apk no such file or directory

39. Chan August 5, 2014 at 9:26 pm - Reply

i can’t download tr.apk .how to download?

40. Edwar August 12, 2014 at 6:30 pm - Reply

fallo con xperia M c1904 android 4.3 dice que el dispositivo no esta soportado

41. sla August 12, 2014 at 8:49 pm - Reply

this is root… but isn’t full-root…
    zperia M