Posted on May 31 2014 - 3:29pm by Anurag Kumar

Sony Xperia Z2, best of Sony yet as claimed by the company was launched at MWC 2014 event along with Xperia Z2 Tablet. It has been a quite while since Xperia Z2 was available for purchase and many users are already using it across the globe. Xperia Z2 features 5.2″ 1080p HD screen with Triluminos display and shatter proof and scratch-resistant glass. We posted a lot ago that many Xperia Z and Xperia Z1 users faced self cracking screen issue on their handset and now unfortunately the same self cracking screen issue has been spotted on Xperia Z2 now.

Xperia Z2 self cracking screen issue has been reported by many Xperia Z2 users on Sony’s official Xperia Z2 forum and as usual all users have claimed that the screen of Xperia Z2 cracked itself while no load was subjected to it. It looks weird if you think so how can it happen, but when the same self cracking screen issue has been reported on Xperia Z and Xperia Z1 also, there is something definitely wrong with the build quality of screens which Sony is using nowdays.

Xperia Z2 self cracking screen issue

Xperia Z2 user “Mick-Y” has a self cracked Xperia Z2 back panel which he also reported on Sony’s forum. Let’s have a look at the self cracked back panel of Xperia Z2.

Xperia Z2 self cracking screen issue

Strange self cracking screen issue appeared on Xperia Z2 of user “dpzOnline” where he found cracks on full front panel of his Xperia Z2.

Xperia Z2 self cracking screen

It is very strange that all flagship model Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z2 users have this self cracking screen issue which Sony don’t even acknowledge and all users have to pay extra money to get their handsets screen replaced when the same issue would have been taken under warranty.

Another Xperia Z2 StuBlake13 sent pic of his cracked Xperia Z2 screen and it looks really bad.

Xperia Z2 Self crackign screen

We hope Sony Mobile changes its strategy for customer support and start acknowledging all the self cracking screen issues with proper response which users are reporting even on their official forums. Xperia Z2 self cracking screen issue has also been reported on XDA Xperia Z2 thread.

If any Xperia Z2 users is facing the same self cracking screen issue, feel free to get in touch with us, we will post your response here. Drop your comments below.

About the Author

23 years old, an avid writer and a Software Engineer by profession. Editor of Xperia Guide | Nexus Authority and Gizmo Bolt and Sony Xperia Smartphone enthusiast. Devices owned : Xperia Z1, Z, SP, SL, Nexus 7 2013 LTE. Follow me at Facebook I Twitter I Google Plus. DONATE US. Contact me at anurag@gizmobolt.com for feedback and sending tips.

24 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. csk May 31, 2014 at 4:40 pm - Reply

Maybe due to the omibalance design?

• glenn August 9, 2014 at 6:24 am - Reply

just happened to me.

as first pic. back glass cracked… (why have glass on the back)

using Z2 as sat nav in my car. and it got very hot, when I looked again it had cracked.

• Eric August 11, 2014 at 11:17 pm - Reply

I would gather, in all the above cases, the shattering screens are not due to user abuse. It relates to SONY’s attempt at making a waterproof phone. In order to be waterproof, the phone must be airtight as well. Not giving the transistors air causes a build up within the circuit board of the phone. If you notice. all computers have vents and such, for natural air to circulate through. The same goes for televisions. Sony has not mastered the art of enclosed transistors, thus pressure build up from these enclosed transistors are cracking the screen. Proper ventilation is paramount.

Also knowing this fault, and charging as much as they do for the phone, guarantees more value to Sony, in regard to the repair of the phone. You’re likely to fix a $700.00 phone rather than walk away from it.

It is simple to not honor the warranty, while citing user abuse. It is criminal to do so knowing the phone’s faults.

If Sony had decided to not make it waterproof, it would likely be the best android phone on the market right now.

2. Arup Ghosh May 31, 2014 at 9:04 pm - Reply

poor material.

3. Niel Mathew May 31, 2014 at 10:50 pm - Reply

Sony is giving 6 months accident warranty for z, z1 and z2. Is this cracking not replaced for free even in that case?

4. SkyS1gn June 1, 2014 at 3:42 am - Reply

Yeah “self cracking” that screen totally smashed… he probably sit on it or smthing.

I never had any problems with my Z, or my Z2 now.

• Mike June 27, 2014 at 3:19 pm - Reply

Mine totally same way cracked, put into my pocket ( large one) and 20 seconds later screen was completly cracked

5. the guru June 1, 2014 at 1:46 pm - Reply

I have the full Z range and have never had issues anf have dropped mine many times

6. Amir June 1, 2014 at 8:51 pm - Reply

I have the Xperia Z and Z1 and I have never had this issue even though I have dropped it many times from high places

7. Adhi June 1, 2014 at 10:31 pm - Reply

I’ve got 2 type for self cracking screen
    Xperia V and Xperia Z1
    Unfortunately the customer services in Indonesia was not really frindly to handle these complain

8. Adhi June 1, 2014 at 10:34 pm - Reply

And please tell Sony to reconsider customers care issue in Indonesia

9. josh June 7, 2014 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Had mine for 3 days and the back screen cracked exactly like the top picture. Rang sony and they dont give a crap. I will never get another sony product. And I highly recomend noone else does either, they jut dont care about there customers.

• Anurag Kumar June 7, 2014 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Sad to hear that you too have the same issue…can you please mail us some pictures of your handset at anurag@gizmobolt.com

10. Acable12 June 19, 2014 at 2:05 am - Reply

Loved my Z2 used it in bed, put it on my bedside table when i went to sleep, alarm didnt go off. Checked my phone and the wallpaper was going crazy, wouldnt respond to touch, looked closer and i had a horizontal crack across the screen about half and inch from the bottom. Sent to sony they want £190.00 to repair and state not manufactures fault so not covered under warranty, my phone is five weeks old on a jew 2 yr contract. Ive had htcs for the last 5 years, gutted i changed now.

11. Adel Misbah July 1, 2014 at 11:36 pm - Reply

I have the same issue my Xperia Z2 cracked after 4 weeks. On the upper part of the back glass exactly same as the first picture.

12. RQ July 10, 2014 at 10:07 pm - Reply

I think it’s because teh aluminum frame expands when it’s getting hotter outside. That means that the glass panels are under ‘tension’., so it will crack fast. Happened to me:(

13. Adam July 15, 2014 at 2:46 am - Reply

My phone is less than a month old… I took it out of my pocket just as the screen was cracking… I could not believe my eyes, i peeled the screen protector back to see if it was real and consequentially got glass stuck in my hands… If I don’t get a full refund or a replacement screen for free I will never buy another song product again… I switched from an iPhone 4 I have had for nearly 2 years, and am seriously regretting the change.

14. Anna July 16, 2014 at 7:23 pm - Reply

It has happened to my Xperia Z too. I put (not dropped) working phone on the locker and not longer that 2 mins later I picked up the phone and the screen was broken. No one was using my phone at the time when that happened.
    Waiting for my phone to be sent back to me unrepared. I will take some photos and send them to you if you want.
    Do you know anyone who took legal action against Sony?
    I am going to go to Small Claim Court and some tips and advise would be helpful. It will be good if I can find people from Ireland having the same problem with Xperia.

Anna

15. SB13X July 19, 2014 at 11:40 pm - Reply

Anurag I’ve just e-mailed you an image of mine. Happened to me too, put my music on and sat device gently on the table outside under a parasol out of direct sunlight. Went in for a drink, came out and after a couple of songs went to change track and voila its cracked.

16. Erasmus July 23, 2014 at 12:50 pm - Reply

I had a Xperia Z and it’s screen cracked when it fell from my bed I didn’t get any customer service to help me.. After that I bought a Xperia Z2 less than a month and it’s screen cracked by itself overnight. This happened 3 days ago and I reported it immediately and I have still got no response from Sony. This is really poor customer care and I’ll never buy a sony product again. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do?

17. Angelo August 4, 2014 at 6:12 pm - Reply

I have the same issue with my Sony Xperia Z2.

The back screen just cracked yesterday. I can’t recall how it happened.

I have my phone for 4 weeks now. Sony only directed me to a repair centre. They quoted over R2500 (200 us dollars), to fix it.

I cant believe I bought this phone. I thought it was durable.
    I am so disappointed. I had a Xperia Z previously who received water damage, since the small rubbers for the input covers leaked water through.

Now I sit with another issue. These Xperia’s are not as great as the ads says out there.

18. Angelo August 4, 2014 at 6:19 pm - Reply

Anurag. I will send you some images. The issue is exactly like the first picture on this thread.

19. Eric August 11, 2014 at 11:15 pm - Reply