Posted on May 31 2014 - 3:29pm by Anurag Kumar

Sony Xperia Z2, best of Sony yet as claimed by the company was launched at MWC 2014 event along with Xperia Z2 Tablet. It has been a quite while since Xperia Z2 was available for purchase and many users are already using it across the globe. Xperia Z2 features 5.2″ 1080p HD screen with Triluminos display and shatter proof and scratch-resistant glass. We posted a lot ago that many Xperia Z and Xperia Z1 users faced self cracking screen issue on their handset and now unfortunately the same self cracking screen issue has been spotted on Xperia Z2 now.

Xperia Z2 self cracking screen issue has been reported by many Xperia Z2 users on Sony’s official Xperia Z2 forum and as usual all users have claimed that the screen of Xperia Z2 cracked itself while no load was subjected to it. It looks weird if you think so how can it happen, but when the same self cracking screen issue has been reported on Xperia Z and Xperia Z1 also, there is something definitely wrong with the build quality of screens which Sony is using nowdays.

Xperia Z2 self cracking screen issue

Xperia Z2 user “Mick-Y” has a self cracked Xperia Z2 back panel which he also reported on Sony’s forum. Let’s have a look at the self cracked back panel of Xperia Z2.

Xperia Z2 self cracking screen issue

Strange self cracking screen issue appeared on Xperia Z2 of user “dpzOnline” where he found cracks on full front panel of his Xperia Z2.

Xperia Z2 self cracking screen

It is very strange that all flagship model Xperia Z, Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z2 users have this self cracking screen issue which Sony don’t even acknowledge and all users have to pay extra money to get their handsets screen replaced when the same issue would have been taken under warranty.

Another Xperia Z2 StuBlake13 sent pic of his cracked Xperia Z2 screen and it looks really bad.

Xperia Z2 Self crackign screen

We hope Sony Mobile changes its strategy for customer support and start acknowledging all the self cracking screen issues with proper response which users are reporting even on their official forums. Xperia Z2 self cracking screen issue has also been reported on XDA Xperia Z2 thread.

If any Xperia Z2 users is facing the same self cracking screen issue, feel free to get in touch with us, we will post your response here. Drop your comments below.

About the Author

24 years old, an avid writer, passionate blogger, an engineer by college degree and Sony Xperia Smartphone enthusiast. Founder & Editor-in-Chief of GizmoBolt.com ( formerly XperiaGuide.com ). Devices owned : Xperia Z2, SP, Moto G, Lumia 625, Nexus 7 2013. Follow him at Facebook I Twitter I Google Plus. DONATE US. Contact him at anurag@gizmobolt.com for feedback and sending tips.

37 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. csk May 31, 2014 at 4:40 pm - Reply

Maybe due to the omibalance design?

• glenn August 9, 2014 at 6:24 am - Reply

just happened to me.

as first pic. back glass cracked… (why have glass on the back)

using Z2 as sat nav in my car. and it got very hot, when I looked again it had cracked.

• Eric August 11, 2014 at 11:17 pm - Reply

I would gather, in all the above cases, the shattering screens are not due to user abuse. It relates to SONY’s attempt at making a waterproof phone. In order to be waterproof, the phone must be airtight as well. Not giving the transistors air causes a build up within the circuit board of the phone. If you notice. all computers have vents and such, for natural air to circulate through. The same goes for televisions. Sony has not mastered the art of enclosed transistors, thus pressure build up from these enclosed transistors are cracking the screen. Proper ventilation is paramount.

Also knowing this fault, and charging as much as they do for the phone, guarantees more value to Sony, in regard to the repair of the phone. You’re likely to fix a $700.00 phone rather than walk away from it.

It is simple to not honor the warranty, while citing user abuse. It is criminal to do so knowing the phone’s faults.

If Sony had decided to not make it waterproof, it would likely be the best android phone on the market right now.

2. Arup Ghosh May 31, 2014 at 9:04 pm - Reply

poor material.

3. Niel Mathew May 31, 2014 at 10:50 pm - Reply

Sony is giving 6 months accident warranty for z, z1 and z2. Is this cracking not replaced for free even in that case?

4. SkyS1gn June 1, 2014 at 3:42 am - Reply

Yeah “self cracking” that screen totally smashed… he probably sit on it or smthing.

I never had any problems with my Z, or my Z2 now.

• Mike June 27, 2014 at 3:19 pm - Reply

Mine totally same way cracked, put into my pocket ( large one) and 20 seconds later screen was completly cracked

5. the guru June 1, 2014 at 1:46 pm - Reply

I have the full Z range and have never had issues anf have dropped mine many times

6. Amir June 1, 2014 at 8:51 pm - Reply

I have the Xperia Z and Z1 and I have never had this issue even though I have dropped it many times from high places

7. Adhi June 1, 2014 at 10:31 pm - Reply

I’ve got 2 type for self cracking screen
    Xperia V and Xperia Z1
    Unfortunately the customer services in Indonesia was not really frindly to handle these complain

8. Adhi June 1, 2014 at 10:34 pm - Reply

And please tell Sony to reconsider customers care issue in Indonesia

9. josh June 7, 2014 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Had mine for 3 days and the back screen cracked exactly like the top picture. Rang sony and they dont give a crap. I will never get another sony product. And I highly recomend noone else does either, they jut dont care about there customers.

• Anurag Kumar June 7, 2014 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Sad to hear that you too have the same issue…can you please mail us some pictures of your handset at anurag@gizmobolt.com

10. Acable12 June 19, 2014 at 2:05 am - Reply

Loved my Z2 used it in bed, put it on my bedside table when i went to sleep, alarm didnt go off. Checked my phone and the wallpaper was going crazy, wouldnt respond to touch, looked closer and i had a horizontal crack across the screen about half and inch from the bottom. Sent to sony they want £190.00 to repair and state not manufactures fault so not covered under warranty, my phone is five weeks old on a jew 2 yr contract. Ive had htcs for the last 5 years, gutted i changed now.

11. Adel Misbah July 1, 2014 at 11:36 pm - Reply

I have the same issue my Xperia Z2 cracked after 4 weeks. On the upper part of the back glass exactly same as the first picture.

12. RQ July 10, 2014 at 10:07 pm - Reply

I think it’s because teh aluminum frame expands when it’s getting hotter outside. That means that the glass panels are under ‘tension’., so it will crack fast. Happened to me:(

13. Adam July 15, 2014 at 2:46 am - Reply

My phone is less than a month old… I took it out of my pocket just as the screen was cracking… I could not believe my eyes, i peeled the screen protector back to see if it was real and consequentially got glass stuck in my hands… If I don’t get a full refund or a replacement screen for free I will never buy another song product again… I switched from an iPhone 4 I have had for nearly 2 years, and am seriously regretting the change.

14. Anna July 16, 2014 at 7:23 pm - Reply

It has happened to my Xperia Z too. I put (not dropped) working phone on the locker and not longer that 2 mins later I picked up the phone and the screen was broken. No one was using my phone at the time when that happened.
    Waiting for my phone to be sent back to me unrepared. I will take some photos and send them to you if you want.
    Do you know anyone who took legal action against Sony?
    I am going to go to Small Claim Court and some tips and advise would be helpful. It will be good if I can find people from Ireland having the same problem with Xperia.

Anna

15. SB13X July 19, 2014 at 11:40 pm - Reply

Anurag I’ve just e-mailed you an image of mine. Happened to me too, put my music on and sat device gently on the table outside under a parasol out of direct sunlight. Went in for a drink, came out and after a couple of songs went to change track and voila its cracked.

16. Erasmus July 23, 2014 at 12:50 pm - Reply

I had a Xperia Z and it’s screen cracked when it fell from my bed I didn’t get any customer service to help me.. After that I bought a Xperia Z2 less than a month and it’s screen cracked by itself overnight. This happened 3 days ago and I reported it immediately and I have still got no response from Sony. This is really poor customer care and I’ll never buy a sony product again. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do?

17. Angelo August 4, 2014 at 6:12 pm - Reply

I have the same issue with my Sony Xperia Z2.

The back screen just cracked yesterday. I can’t recall how it happened.

I have my phone for 4 weeks now. Sony only directed me to a repair centre. They quoted over R2500 (200 us dollars), to fix it.

I cant believe I bought this phone. I thought it was durable.
    I am so disappointed. I had a Xperia Z previously who received water damage, since the small rubbers for the input covers leaked water through.

Now I sit with another issue. These Xperia’s are not as great as the ads says out there.

18. Angelo August 4, 2014 at 6:19 pm - Reply

Anurag. I will send you some images. The issue is exactly like the first picture on this thread.

19. Eric August 11, 2014 at 11:15 pm - Reply

20. kimberly September 27, 2014 at 5:23 am - Reply

I have had my phone 1 and 1/2 weeks. Today it started getting hot by the afternoon i looked up and there is a crack starting from the ear part and down the whole screen. Called Sony they say it is a factory issue but from the looks of it on here i can safely say i will not be getting a replacement. It as if it blow up from the ear part of the phone and spreaded downward. Sad Sony needs to do better.

21. Amelia butler October 9, 2014 at 5:35 pm - Reply

My phone did this 4 weeks ago and im still in battle with both sony and vodafone to get it fixed, sony are saying its not covered under the warrenty even though i have had the phone not even 3 months n i loved it!

22. Ankur October 14, 2014 at 1:20 am - Reply

@Anurag Kumar I have been reading about these issues as I am planning to buy Z2. I want to know does Indian customers facing these same issues? as I have seen only western customers are facing this problems.

• Anurag Kumar October 14, 2014 at 1:24 am - Reply

personally i haven’t found such issue on Indian Z2 handset yet. Even asked service center guy they haven’t encountered any case yet.

• Ankur October 14, 2014 at 7:07 pm - Reply

Thank you for replying @Anurag ji. I am too worrying about this cracking issue as I am planning to buy Z2. How about the heating issues that many have reported on many sites? Does it really heat up that much during normal usage like camera, wifi or phone call?

23. Kenny cochrane October 14, 2014 at 12:13 pm - Reply

Woke up this morning to my my 4 week old z2 compact not responding, frozen, I had to push power button and up volume to reset it, only to notice 3 cracks on the screen, phone now totally useless, it has protective screen and rubber cover, only thing I can think of is it was a cold night, not a happy boy as gave up my windows lumia 930 for this. Will contact my provider EE today to find out what can be done.

24. Shalom Mike October 16, 2014 at 12:57 pm - Reply

My Z2 also got cracked suddenly on it back glass panel.
    I am so worried about it.. I have spent 70000 LKR to get thi & after 4 weeks it has been cracked..can it be repaired again with waterproofing?

25. Simen October 20, 2014 at 2:32 am - Reply

Got my Z3 last week. Took it out of my pocket today and somehow a 3inch crack has formed in the glass on the back….great -.-

• Anurag Kumar October 20, 2014 at 1:36 pm - Reply

Could you please send me some pics on anurag@gizmobolt.com

Thank you.

26. Nova747 October 21, 2014 at 5:36 pm - Reply

I thought I was the only one!! I had my Z2 Tablet for 3 weeks and it cracked. I put the phone in my laptop bag and when I got to work and tried to open it, it had a crack which ran across the screen with spiderwebs in some places. I really regret moving from Samsung to Sony. I had an Xperia T for almost 3 years now and it has been dropped a couple of times and nothing happened. I’m waiting for almost 4 weeks now for a response from Sony.

27. Mr_G October 22, 2014 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Happened to my wife’s Z2. Woke up one morning, to find out that whilst left on a bedside table overnight, a small hairline crack, starting at the middle left of the screen and running horizontally across had developed.

Sony are now wanting to charge £110 to repair it, and are adamantly stating it’s due to impact damage.

28. z2 November 11, 2014 at 10:00 pm - Reply

well this sucks… luckily i have not faced this problem yet, hope i never will…

also, if you are looking to update your z2 to the new android 4.4.4, prepare for more heat and maybe a cracked screen (due to more heat)

29. Puloma November 13, 2014 at 5:00 pm - Reply

I bought a Sony Xperia Z2 from Croma towards the end of September 2014. Within 2 weeks, I woke up one morning to see the phone screen having a long end end hairline crack. I had not sdropped the brand new phone or dropped anything on it. It was lying on the rug getting charged.

The phone is lying with the service center till date and they have not accepted the fact that it’s a manufacturing defect. I challenged them to give me a forensic report on the phone. Sony is selling a water proof and scratch proof phone which cracks by itself. I am a gadget freak and I own 10 phones. Such an issue have never occurred in other phones. Also the screen becomes unresponsive because of such a fine crack!!!!

Croma and Sony has done nothing to compensate me and I will keep fighting like a wronged consumer.

Croma while selling the phone did not even tell me that warranty does not cover physical damage even when I asked. Consumers be very careful about what you are buying…as all that glitters is not gold.

Leave A Response