It has been just a few hours since we saw Sony officially rolling out the major bug fixing update 6.2.B.1.96 firmware over previous jelly bean 6.2.B.0.211 firmware. 6.2.B.1.96 firmware has fixed all the major bugs reported in previous updates ranging from 1080p HD Video Lag, Volume up button lag, Camera issues resolved etc.
If you haven’t updated to 6.2.B.1.96 firmware on your Xperia S, SL and Acro S, check the link below to update :-
Well the great news is that DooMLoRD, renowned XDA developer has successfully rooted this new 6.2.B.1.96 firmware within an hour of its launch, let’s see how you can root 6.2.B.1.96 firmware on Xperia S, SL and Acro S.
Sony has patched the perf_event exploit ( so to root 6.2.B.1.96 firmware would have been difficult ) so DooMLoRD found another way to root by flashing back old kernel on which root exploit was working and then again re flashing the new kernel, so root is there
How to Root Xperia S, SL, Acro S 6.2.B.1.96 firmware ?
Below method works only for Xperia S LT26i/ Lt26ii 6.2.B.1.96 firmware any customization. Do not try on any other variants.
Download 3 files from below links
Download XperiaS_LT26i_6.2.B.0.211_KernelOnly.ftf | 6.36 MB
Download DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit v18 from below to root your Xperia S, SL.
Download DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip | 2.96 MB
Download XperiaS_LT26i_6.2.B.1.96_KernelOnly.ftf | 6.33 MB
Download FlashTool from below link, if you don’t have it.
STEPS for ROOTING :- ( Below steps are for root 6.2.B.1.96 firmware Xperia S )
Workin on both Locked as well as UnLocked Bootloaders.
Enable USB Debugging and unknown sources option on your phone before proceeding. Do not use other kit version except V18.
- Download Flashtool, Open it. Flash the “XperiaS_LT26i_6.2.B.0.211_KernelOnly.ftf” file on your Xperia S. It is the kernel of an old firmware of Xperia S which was rootable.
- Reboot your Xperia S after flashing. Connect to PC in USB Debugging mode.
- Do not forget to close FLASHTOOL. CLOSE FLASHTOOL , before proceeding next step or you will get serious error.
- Extract the downloaded “DooMLoRD_Easy-Rooting-Toolkit_v18_perf-event-exploit.zip” file and run the “runme_win” file.
- Follow onscreen instructions to root Xperia S and once it is rooted, device will reboot. Verify that you are rooted, run SuperSU app.
- Now switch off your Xperia S. OPEN FLASHTOOL.
- Now you need to flash “XperiaS_LT26i_6.2.B.1.96_KernelOnly.ftf ” file in order to get back the true kernel of Android 4.1.2 6.2.B.1.96 firmware of Xperia S.
- After flashing, disconnect the phone from PC, reboot it and your Xperia S is now rooted and we are done with rooting Xperia S 6.2.B.1.96 firmware.
To root 6.2.B.1.96 firmware you just need to perform above steps carefully.
NOTE :- Xperia SL users can use their respective kernels or the kernels from Xperia S as posted above.
P.S. We are not sure whether this rooting kit supports Acro S or not, still if you want to go ahead, root at your own risk. Respective kernels of Xperia Acro S are added below.
Download Xperia Acro S_LT26w_6.2.B.0.211_KernelOnly.ftf | 6 MB
Downlaod Xperia Acro S_LT26w_6.2.B.1.96_KernelOnly.ftf | 6 MB
If you succeeded in rooting Xperia Acro S by this method, please comment below…
Let us know if you face any difficult in rooting your Xperia S, SL on 6.2.B.1.96 firmware, we will help you out. Drop your comments on your reviews on 6.2.B.1.96 firmware update…
[ via – XDA ]